Tuesday, December 22, 2009

How do i check an oil pump on a 1968 Ford Mustang 200cc?

i just rebuilt this straight 6 motor and got it running. i took the valve cover off and ran the motor but i didnt see any oil. how can i check my oil pump?How do i check an oil pump on a 1968 Ford Mustang 200cc?
I bet you meant 200CI not cc....real simple on how to check your oil pump: Remove the distributor, look down into the distributor hole....you will see the top of the oil pump, the distributor drives the oil pump on these engines. I believe it is a 5/16 hex shaft that goes into the oil pump (not positive but you are getting what I'm saying?) With a reversible drill and a socket drive, you should be able to ';prime'; the oil pump. It's been a really long time since I worked on a 200CI Ford engine so I can't remember if you want to go clockwise or counter-clockwise (I think it's clockwise). You will know you're going in the right direction because the drill motor will start to work harder and pull on your hand after about 20 or so revolutions. You should be getting oil pressure at this time.How do i check an oil pump on a 1968 Ford Mustang 200cc?
i agree with k.t.W, add a temporary oil pressure guage while spinnin the drill and you will know if pressure is to specs.

No comments:

Post a Comment