Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Does anyone know where the ';proper'; place is to hang a family oil portait in a home?

My beloved father is deceased, and I inherited the portait we had painted of him in 1987. I love the picture, and want to place it in the most appropriate room in the house. Are these more frequently hung in the dining room, the hall way, the livingroom, or in a bedroom?


I don't know anyone who has one, nor have seen one in a friend's home!


The size is 27 inches across by 32 inches high.


Perhaps there are some studied design persons out there that could save me from an interior blunder!


Hope so!!!


Thanks!Does anyone know where the ';proper'; place is to hang a family oil portait in a home?
As an interior designer, I am always suggesting family gallery walls either in hallways, or stairways (not the front formal stairway), sometimes it is good to mix in family pictures in Living Rooms, but the one you are talking about is a very large size, perhaps a den or library might be better if you don't have a place to create a family gallery wall.





You can mix old pictures and new pictures, and add and change a gallery as your family grows and changes. You can use black and white photos with color photos, but there must be some kind of rhythm or reasoning in the placement. Sometimes I choose frames of one style to pull it together. Other times it is adding shelves like those you find at pottery barn.Does anyone know where the ';proper'; place is to hang a family oil portait in a home?
I beleve the living room is the proper place .
in the living room..over a mantle if you have one.
i agree that the entrance foyer or stair wells is best. I wouldn really put it over the fire place
I would say livingroom, preferrably above a fireplace. Or somewhere else where you can see it when you enter the living room.
Above the mantle
Anywhere you want! It's your house and you beloved father. So do what feels best to you.
Do NOT hang it in the bedroom. BAD. The bedroom should be reserved for things that make you feel romantic.





I would say if you do not have a fireplace with a mantle perhaps you have a den or an office that the painting would look nice in..


But the living room, dining room or hallway is good too, in my opinion.
I would say in the living room at least that is where I put ours
most homes have a studdy,or library,den or formal livingroom. pics such as that would be placed over a mantel on a freplace in one of these such rooms also on the wall people most face when seated in one of these rooms never place a portrate in a hall or corridor accept maybe at the top of a staircase where people would veiw it daily
I would hang it in the living room either over the fireplace or over your couch or a prominent piece of furniture.
I've always seen these kind of portraits in the living room on an easle or over the fireplace.
  • skin care products
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment