Tuesday, December 22, 2009

What will happen if I put a drop of water in my oil filler cap of my car?

I accidentally dripped a drop of water into my engine this morning when topping up the oil, what will happen?What will happen if I put a drop of water in my oil filler cap of my car?
A few drops will not hurt at all. The hot oil will turn the water to steam, which will collect at the highest point in the crankcase (engine's open area). You might see a little white/yellowish mayonaise looking film under the oil cap tomorrow. wipe it off.





Don't worry about it.


Why all these thumbs down? Give us your answer on how it DOES matter, you little know-it-all.


(I never thought it was you, tbh_mint, but rather some 16 year old ';mechanic';)What will happen if I put a drop of water in my oil filler cap of my car?
You will be fine. The idiots who said it will freeze up probably havent even opened a hood in their lives. Let alone owned a boat! You can get away with a little water. A drop is nothing. There are five quarts of oil in there. You probably condense the equivlent of 20 drops ever time you shut the car off when its cold out.
Suggest that a drop of water is probably a lot less then the condensation collected by the engine when driving a cold engine that does not have enough time to warm up on a cold and humid day and shutting it down before doing so.
nothing, your car will heat up to 200+ degrees and the water will vaporize anyways.





theres a lot of water in a cars oil. mostly from condensation.
Nothing will happen; the water will evaporate. It will be fine.
It will evaporate with the rest of the water that's already in there from condensation. Don't worry about it.
I put in oil when it was raining once, that was 20,000 miles ago :) went to Cornwall and back. Forget the down thumbs.
nothing - teaspoon of water then worry
It will be fine. When the engine gets hot it will dissipate.
It will evaporate as soon as the engine warms up......so nothing bad will happen
A drip or two won't hurt - don't make a habit of it though.
a drop wont do nothing.
Nothing. Don't sweat it.............
It will be fine don't worry.
The water will ether turn into a vapor as a result of heat or when your crankshaft rotates this will rust your crankshaft and related hardware.
The engine will seize up and stop running in two weeks. Added----It's was a JOKE people.

No comments:

Post a Comment