Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Should I remove empty heating oil tank that is in my basement?

I have an old (empty) heating oil tank that is in my basement. It is in an unfinished portion of the basement. Aesthetically it does not bother me that it is there, but are there any health concerns that I should be aware of?Should I remove empty heating oil tank that is in my basement?
As long as it's not leaking any oil. Is there any oil at all left in the tank? If it still has oil it could rust out from the inside and the oil start to leak`and you not know it until it's too late. My neighbor had to shell out $2000.00 to clean up the oil that leaked from his 50 year old tank. Safe Harbor had to come in and remove the contaminated soil and haul it away. They pumped the oil out and the heating company had them cut the tank in half and haul it away. Just a thing to let you know what could happen.How old is the tank? There is a date of manufacture on the top or side. Not any health concerns only what I mentioned. Call around and see what it will cost to have it removed by a licensed company to be safe. If it's absolutely bone dry then have the kids do graffiti on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment