Thursday, January 7, 2010

What's the correct engine oil to use in my engine?

I own a UK (1996) (R Reg) Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 (Petrol) and was wondering what kind of oil to put in the engine?





Will the more modern oils of today do any damage to the engine as they contain ';cleaning'; properties. Also, should I use Synthetic or Mineral based oil?





Any information would be great, thanks!What's the correct engine oil to use in my engine?
There is such a thing as non-detergent oil, but I would never use it. Almost all modern oils contain additives, detergents, anti-foaming agents, brighteners, etc. I believe synthetic oils are more stable, which is an advantage, but they claim unrealistic life span. If any oil is used past the point that the additives cease to work, then wear sets in. I think it's more important to use a good oil, (I never use store brands) and change before 3,000 miles, than to quibble over type.What's the correct engine oil to use in my engine?
you talk about modern oils ?........what oils are you used to ??.......do you have access to old oils ??........ you have a modern car ....just use a multi grade 30 weight oil ........all oils ( cept for synthetic oils ) have the same base structure , just that different oil companies have different additives ........ many many years ago ( over 40 ) they introduced a ';detergent ';oil ......when some people ( and they are probably all dead now ) put this ';new '; type oil in their old cars ......100e's ...... 101's 105e's ...... it dissolved all the built up carbon on the pistons , and bearings , and this led to problems .........synthetic oil is very expensive ........you can use this , but it will make no difference to your engine , or your performance .......... I have never seen an engine give trouble yet because of the ';type '; of oil it had in it ...but I have seen dozens of engines give trouble because they had little .....or NO .oil in them
I would use synthetic in any car I drive today. It will only enhance the enviroment, you'll get 10% better effieciency and it will help the environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment