Thursday, January 7, 2010

Is it okay to do oil painting whilst pregnant?

I am an artist and it's just occurred to me that maybe I should be taking extra care whilst using oil paints? I know you're not supposed to like, paint a wall or anything using oil paints when you are pregnant, due to the fumes, but are there precautions I should be taking whilst painting a canvas? I don't paint in a well ventilated area, just in my living room. Is it too extreme to use a face mask? I only paint for about an hour at a time, and don't feel any effect from the fumes.Is it okay to do oil painting whilst pregnant?
oil painting will be fine it wont hurt the baby.. but if your the type of person that worries alot you could be in a well ventilated area or even paint outside. but it wont hurt youIs it okay to do oil painting whilst pregnant?
Oil painting is NOT safe during pregnancy. Oils contain chemicals which are really harmful to the baby AND even cleaners such as turpentine or turpenoid...they BOTH aren't good for your baby either. If you REALLY want to paint, you might want to consider switching to acrylics for the duration of your pregnancy. Although the color quality and feel is different, it is safer.
I'm sure it will be fine, I painted a bedroom before I knew I was pregnant and there havent been any problems for me or the baby. Just paint in a ventilated area and you'll be fine! Congrats!!

No comments:

Post a Comment