Thursday, January 7, 2010

Electric heat vs. gas and oil home heating , how much more expensive is electric % wise ?

Of course this question is considering insalation being the same. I heard electric is 75 % more, sound right ? Also Florida gas, oil, and electric bills persay I heard are double that of Tennisee, is it and how can I find out by county ?Electric heat vs. gas and oil home heating , how much more expensive is electric % wise ?
gas is the cheapest right now.Electric heat vs. gas and oil home heating , how much more expensive is electric % wise ?
I have heard over the years that electric heating costs more than gas or oil, too, but I'm not sure how they arrived at the conclusion, or where they did the testing.





What I do know is this. When I lived in western New York state %26amp; had natural gas heating for a 1100sf, 2 BR house, with no air conditioning my Winter heating bills ran over $200 a month for 4 months (Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb); about $180 a month for 2 months (Oct %26amp; Mar); about $130 for 2 months (Sep %26amp; Apr); about $100 for May %26amp; about $80 for the 3 Summer months of Jun, Jul %26amp; Aug. That totals $1660 for the year, for an average of around $140 a month.





When I moved down to central North Carolina 2 years ago everything is electrical, I have air conditioning, %26amp; heat almost 1400sf in a 3 BR apt. my monthly bills don't vary that much - they range between $75 -%26gt;90/month - summer %26amp; winter.





So, according to my pocketbook - its cheaper to heat with electric.





To be honest its based on how much any power company charges you per kilowatt hour for electrical service -vs- per thermal unit for gas. The only way to get a true cost figure would be to find out who supplies these services in the area you're moving to, then check their website, or call them to find out what their rates are. Once you have that rate, you then need to find someone who heats the same sf of home space with the same insulation, at the same temperature, etc. to find how many units they use, then multiply it out.





Good luck!
GAS a rule is cheaper.and if you have a power failuer.no lights but you can cook and eat. and you have heat.
Yes, electric heat is more expensive. We live in an apartment that is electric and if not for the budget, we would be in trouble!! Good luck!!
Electric heat can run double gas or oil, even with the recent increases. Florida has higher electric rates than we have in NY believe it or not! But then again, the heating season is significantly shorter in Fla than NY.
It is true that electric heat will cost you more, but if you are looking for the most efficeint unit i would look into a good quality duel fuel unit. This is a heat pump unit that utilizes gas heat as it's secondary or emergency heat. When my unit draws it's last breath, that is what I will be putting into my house. Check into it, I think you will be pleasently suprised.





Good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment